California ReLeaf is pleased to announce $40,000 in funding for the Growing Green Communities grant program sponsored by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E). This grant is an urban forest incubator grant to engage new community-based organizations in tree-planting activities within PG&E’s five service regions. This grant program encourages community-based organizations to plant trees as a way to grow greener, stronger, and healthier neighborhoods, bringing many benefits, including cleaner air, cooler temperatures, and stronger social bonding.
Tree planting events are wonderful community engagement and education events about the importance of trees in promoting community health and combating climate change. We invite you to apply to host a tree-planting project in your community. Depending on the COVID-19 impact locally, projects can include in-person events and/or virtual engagement and education (often before the tree planting), and other COVID-safe activities, such as watering and monitoring the trees after planting.
If you are interested in applying for a Growing Green Communities grant stipend, please review the criteria and details below.
- Stipends will range from $3,000 – $5,000, estimating 8-10 grants awarded
- Project awards must be to organizations with projects within one of the five PG&E service regions. We look forward to granting projects in all five regions. (See map)
- Priority will be given to underserved or low-income communities, neighborhoods with fewer existing trees, as well as communities that have not had recent access to urban forestry funding.
- 50% of the stipend will be paid upon award announcement, with the remaining 50% upon receipt and approval of your final report.
- Grant Information Webinar: Watch the recording on our YouTube channel or scroll down below to view the recording.
- Grant Applications Due: Extended to Friday, January 13th at Noon. Applications are now closed.
- Estimated Grant Award Notifications: January 18, 2023.
- Project Completion Deadline: May 31, 2023.
- Final Report Due: June 15, 2023. Final report questions. Please note final reports are required to be submitted via our online form.
- Community-based organizations who do tree planting, tree care education, or are interested in adding this to their projects/programs.
- Must be a 501(c)(3) or have/find a fiscal sponsor.
- Events must occur within one of the five service areas of the sponsoring utility: Pacific Gas & Electric. (See map)
- Projects must be able to be completed by May 31, 2023.
- Project reports must be submitted by June 15, 2023.
Sponsor Engagement & Recognition:
Recognition and engagement of PG&E as the sponsor of your event is optional, depending on your organization’s sponsor recognition policy. If your policy allows, ways to recognize and engage PG&E could include:
- engaging with PG&E in order to coordinate Growing Green Communities publicity.
- offering volunteer opportunities for PG&E personnel.
- posting their logo on your website.
- including their logo in your social media.
- recognizing sponsorship in social media post content.
- thanking them during your tree event.
Questions? Contact Victoria Vasquez 916.497.0035; grantadmin[at]californiareleaf.org
PG&E Service Region Map