Arbor Week Poster Contest
For California youth ages 5-12
Enter to Win the 13th Annual
Arbor Week Poster Contest!
This year’s theme is “Trees Plant a Cooler Future.” We want you to think about how trees have the power to make our neighborhoods a cooler place.
Have you ever visited a park on a hot summer day? Walking or playing under the sun’s heat can make us hot, thirsty, and tired. But it can be magically different under the shade of a tree. In fact, on a very hot day, it can be up to 20 degrees cooler in the shade! Trees shade us from direct sunlight and cool us down through the natural air condition they produce when water moves up from the soil through the tree’s roots and evaporates out of the tree’s leaves into the air helping us cool down.
Did you know trees do many cool things beyond providing us shade? Trees purify our air, clean rainwater, provide homes and healthy food for wildlife, take carbon dioxide out of the air and create oxygen for us to breathe. Scientists have also learned trees help humans relax, feel calmer, and even help us do better on schoolwork! Trees can make a big difference in creating healthy communities, which is why it is so important that we plant more trees all over California, especially in communities that don’t have enough tree cover. Together we can plant a cooler future!
Think about how “Trees Plant a Cooler Future” and what that means to you – and then make it into a poster! A committee will review all submitted posters and select the statewide finalists. Each winner will receive a cash prize ranging from $25 to $100 and a printed copy of their poster. The top winning posters are unveiled at the Arbor Week press conference and will then be on the California ReLeaf and California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) websites and shared via social media channels.
2023 Poster Contest Guidelines
- The submittal must be original art created by a California youth between the ages of 5-12 years old.
POSTER SIZE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Artwork must be between 8.5”x11” and 14”x18” and on paper that allows for duplication.
- Entry should not be matted, mounted, laminated, framed, or folded.
- Artist’s first and last name must be written or signed on the front lower right-hand corner of the poster.
- The poster must be related to the theme, and the theme phrase “Trees Plant a Cooler Future” must appear somewhere on the poster.
ENTRY DEADLINE: Monday, February 13, 2023 (postmarked)
HOW TO ENTER:
- Send the original art along with the Entry Form by February 13, 2023 (postmarked) via mail to California ReLeaf at 2115 J Street, Suite 213, Sacramento, CA 95816. All entries will become the property of California ReLeaf and cannot be returned.
- If you are unable to mail the artwork to us, high-quality digital replications (photographs or scans) are eligible. However, if the piece is selected as a finalist, the original will need to be arranged to be sent.
- A committee will review all submitted posters and select the statewide finalists.
- Each winner will receive a cash prize ranging from $25 to $100 and a printed copy of their poster.
- The top winning posters are unveiled at the Arbor Week press conference and will then be on the California ReLeaf and California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) websites and shared via social media channels.
QUESTIONS? Contact Us arborweek[at]californiareleaf.org
Poster Contest Winners Hall of Fame
California Arbor Week Sponsors
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”–Chinese Proverb