California ReLeaf is pleased to announce $70,000 in funding for 2022 California Arbor Week to celebrate the value of trees for all Californians. This program is brought in partnership with Edison International and San Diego Gas & Electric.
Arbor Week celebrations are wonderful community engagement and education events about the importance of trees in promoting community health and combating climate change. Historically, they have provided a great opportunity to engage a wide range of volunteers. 2022 will continue to look different due to COVID-19. We do not expect large gatherings of people this year, but invite those who wish to host a small tree planting project in their communities to apply. This can include distanced plantings, online engagement, or other COVID-safe activities.
If you are interested in receiving a stipend to celebrate California Arbor Week, please review the criteria and details below and submit an application here. Applications are due
February 21 February 22.
- Stipends will range from $2,000 – $5,000.
- 50% of the stipend will be paid upon Award Announcement, with the remaining 50% upon receipt and approval of your final report.
- Priority will be given to disadvantaged or low-income communities, as well as communities that have not had recent access to urban forestry funding.
- A Grant Informational Session will be held to meet with prospective applicants, share resources, and answer questions on Feb 2 at 2pm. Register Here.
- Projects must occur by May 31, 2022.
- Final Report is due June 15, 2022. Final report questions will be sent to grantees upon awarding of the stipend.
- Urban forest nonprofits. Or community-based organizations who do tree planting, tree care education, or are interested in adding this to their projects/programs.
- Must be a 501c3 or obtain a fiscal sponsor.
- Events must occur within the service areas of the sponsoring utilities Southern California Edison (Map) and SDGE (all of SD County, and part of Orange County).
- Projects must be able to be completed during the pandemic. Please have a plan for a pandemic-friendly event that can occur during a surge, if needed.
Sponsor Engagement & Recognition
- You will be expected to engage with your sponsoring utility in order to coordinate California Arbor Week publicity as well as to offer volunteer opportunities for your utility sponsor’s personnel.
- You will be expected to recognize your utility sponsor’s contribution by:
- Posting their logo on your website
- including their logo in your Arbor Week social media
- offering them time to speak briefly at your celebration event
- thanking them during your celebration event.