Starting an urban forestry nonprofit is no small task.
Luckily, many brave souls have paved the way and shared the tips, tricks, tools, and materials that they’ve picked up along the way. Here’s a collection of our favorite resources to help you run an effective organization.
A huge thanks to some of our Network Members for contributing documents to this list.
Starting & Running An Urban Forestry Nonprofit:
- “How to Start A Nonprofit” Video from Blue Avocado: this hour-long webinar covers the basic steps for starting your own new nonprofit — plus some key tips to enhance the whole process
- How To Start A Nonprofit Guide: A step-by-step guide (plus additional resources) from CalNonprofits. Also now available in Spanish!
- The Impact Foundry (formerly the Nonprofit Resource Center): dedicated to enhancing and improving the management of nonprofit organizations, specifically in California
- CalNonprofits: California’s association of nonprofit organizations
- Blue Avocado: a nonprofit online magazine for community nonprofits offering practical, provocative, and fun information
- Nonprofit With Balls: a weekly blog with a fresh, insightful, funny voice offering resources, insight, and empathy for nonprofits
- The Real Cost Project: a joint initiative of California grantmakers to help both funders and those seeking funding understand the “real cost” of projects in order to achieve maximum impact with limited resources
- Accounting Considerations for Nonprofits: a helpful review of nonprofit financial issues from The University of Scranton
- California ReLeaf’s Online Education: we’ve collected tons of on-demand and ongoing videos, webinars, and other resources to help you develop new skills, expand your reach, and enhance your organization’s effectiveness
- CompassPoint Nonprofit Services: these articles on individual and organizational self-care are required reading for preventing the notorious nonprofit burnout
Working with A Board of Directors:
Managing Staff and Employees:
Getting the Word Out:
- Volunteer Recruitment Tips
- Readiness Roadmap: Helping organizations navigate skills-based volunteering
- 10 Organizational Standards for Quality Volunteer Management
- Top 15 Posts on Engaging Volunteers
- Engaging Volunteers at Every Generational Level
- Top 6 Volunteer Resources for Nonprofits
- HandsON Network Volunteer Management Guidebook
- Energ!ze Volunteer Management Library